We are delighted you’ve decided to visit the LATTA Real Estate Services, Inc. website to help locate your next home. We have been providing service to tenants just like you for over 15 years. Many visitors are full of questions about what is involved in renting a home through our company, so we have tried to answer many of those questions below.
Our Philosophy and Rental Guidelines
LATTA Real Estate Services, Inc. does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, familial status, disability or legal sources of income. In addition, we comply with all federal, state and local laws concerning discrimination.
Our philosophy and belief is that providing attractive, clean and well-maintained homes to our customers will create satisfied tenants, who in turn take better care of our client’s properties and stay with us longer. In accordance with this belief, LATTA Real Estate Services, Inc. has developed the following general policies and guidelines over a period of 15 years to assist us in determining the suitability of each applicant to rent one of our quality homes.
• PRE-SCREENING PROCEDURES – When you first contact us, our leasing agent will normally ask a number of questions about family size, price range, location and type of property desired, anticipated moving date, any pets, and limited financial and credit information in an effort to help you find a suitable property. Since we represent hundreds of different owners (each with sometimes different requirements), this interview process allows us to “speed up” your search for a new home. All of our properties require a one-year lease commitment, with month-to-month options available only after completion of the first full year of tenancy.
• PROPERTY INSPECTION – After the initial “pre-screening” interview, your leasing agent can provide you with the address of a number of possible properties that will match your requirements, so you can drive-by and get a feel for the neighborhood. Call your leasing agent back to schedule an appointment to see the interior of any homes in which you are interested.
• APPLICATION PROCEDURES – We use a simple one page application form to collect information about you and your family, including financial status, residence history, employment history and other vital information about pets, vehicles, personal references and past financial difficulties or criminal records. A separate application form must be completed for each adult resident over 18 years of age. A $30 processing fee must accompany each application, together with legible copies of photo identification of each applicant and proof of all claimed income (copies of current pay-stubs, disability or assistance payments, etc). Application processing fees are non-refundable.
• APPLICATION PROCESSING – Most applications take 2-3 days processing time, depending more than anything else on the completeness of the submitted application package. Failure to include supporting documentation outlined above, landlord daytime phone numbers and other material omissions inevitably delay an application decision. Be honest about any problems you may have had in the past – we can often work around many problems if you are honest and “up-front” with us. Falsification of material information is always discovered by our well trained staff, and will result in automatic denial of the application. Upon approval of your application, lease agreements will be prepared for your review and approval within 3 days, together with payment of the security deposit.
• APPROVAL CRITERIA – All applications are reviewed and a decision made based upon to the following criteria:
- Gross verifiable monthly income must be equal to or greater than 3 times the anticipated monthly rent,
- Three (3) years positive, unbiased landlord or mortgage history is required,
- A credit bureau check will be completed on all adult applicants,
- A court records search will be completed on all adult applicants.
• SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES – We strive to approve the majority of applications we receive. Often times we can work with an otherwise good applicant who might be weak in one particular area, if they show above-average strength in other areas. In addition, we can sometimes approve otherwise unacceptable applications with a slight increase in monthly rent, a larger security deposit, a co-signer, or some combination of the three.
• PETS – We manage a large number of properties for many different owners. Most of our owners agree that pets are acceptable under certain conditions and with an “additional fully refundable deposit”, but a few of our properties will not allow pets under any circumstances. Let us know up front if you have pets and we can probably help you find a home where your pet will be as welcome as you and your family. Moving in any pet without prior approval and payment of an additional deposit as determined by us is grounds for immediate termination of a tenancy at the tenant’s expense – this also includes “pet sitting” for a friend, even for a short time.
• UNAUTHORIZED OCCUPANTS –- At the time you complete your application, you must list all individuals who will be living in the rented property, including both adults and children. Our owners require us to know exactly who will be living in the property, so be sure to list all occupants to avoid legal action against you for allowing unauthorized use of the rented premises.